Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Shopping with Cordelia


I went to see my son Micheal, my daughter-in-law Amanda and one of the true joys of my life, my sweet grand daughter Cordelia. Amanda said she needed some jars of baby food so we loaded the family into my car and went to a couple of big box stores.

I don't know why but even before Cordelia was born I liked shopping with Micheal and Amanda which is strange because I hate shopping. With Cordelia in my arms shopping is a wonderful thing. The first box store was sold out of the baby food but the clerk on the way out talked about how beautiful Cordelia is and I beamed with pride.

In the second box store Cordelia and I got lost and couldn't find her parents after five minutes of looking we gave up and headed for the toy department. Cordelia and I had never been alone together this long and I was afraid she would start crying for her mother but she seemed content and happy in her grandfather's arms. First stop in the toy department was a Darth Vader costume with voice activation on his control panel. I pushed a button and Darth Vader spoke.

I jumped back in mock fear of the Darth Vader costume.

"Don't worry Cordelia, I won't let Darth Vader get you."

Cordelia giggled and I did this several more times. Then we took turns turning a tire on a dump truck that made a motor noise. Cordelia loved that.

"I know what you want to see from the last time we went shopping together."

As I walked into the doll section of the toy department her eyes were transfixed on the infant dolls, we then pushed the sea shell buttons on every mermaid doll and heard them all speak.
After that we saw what Barbie was wearing to the prom this year. She liked the Brat doll with a giant head but her favorite doll was the Ken doll dressed for the prom.

"If Ken asks you to the prom I guess your dad will just have to let you go, won't he?"

As I turned to go look for her parents again she reached out with her right hand and tried to grab
Ken from the self. Ken in his plastic and cardboard box fell to the floor. I picked the doll off the floor and set the toy back with his brothers. I looked at Cordelia as we walked away from the toy section.

"Really Cordelia, that is just too much. I now have to compete for your affection with a Barbie doll accessory?"

Cordelia laughed as if she got the joke. Ten minutes had passed and her parents were still missing in shopping. We found some plastic plants and my grand daughter became Cordelia Queen of the Jungle! A shrunk wrapped pallet of paper towels became the highest peak in the world and Cordelia became the first baby to climb Mount Everest.

Tiring of our life as adventurers we became the two greatest interior designers and began shopping for her future first apartment. How long had it been when I found her parents.
It doesn't matter because a beautiful little girl who has the same last name as me, had a lot of fun getting lost in a big box store.

6 comments:

Lottery Girl said...

Lovely story--hope you get lost with Cordelia more often! She is a gorgeous baby girl!

Robert A Vollrath said...

Thanks lottery girl

I'm working on a children's book but my partner has bailed on me. I don't know if I can move forward with my original concept.

Shopping with Cordelia was my second concept for a children's book.

I use this blog to test concepts and I promised myself I would move forward with this story if I got one comment. Thanks for being that comment.

Robert A Vollrath said...

To lottery girl

Yes Cordelia is a gorgeous baby girl!
Shopping with Cordelia is more than a concept but a true story about my love for my Grand Daughter.

This story is a message to future Cordelia to tell her how much I love her.

My Grand Father English died when I was a baby and I would love to have a note from the past with his words telling me how much he loved me.

Having a Grand Daughter was my fondest wish and I am blessed with both a Grand Daughter and
Grand Son.

Lottery Girl said...

DEFINITELY carry on with BOTH concepts for children's books. JUST DO IT!!!

I have a huge box of cards my grandmother saved. Recently I found some letters her daughter, my aunt, wrote about the wonders of the new baby (my cousin). The baby is now 60, and I can't wait to give him this incredible treasure, as both his mother and grandmother are long dead.

The love of both my grandmothers has buoyed me, inspired and strengthened me throughout my life. They were amazing human beings. SO WRITE your stories, even if it's just for Cordelia!

jalynn5977 said...

your right it was a very lovely story , and Cordellia is avery beautiful and charming little girl .I guess I'll find out if this post I might have it figured out since we last spoke.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I'm going to see Cordelia today so I'm hoping for another story about our little Grand Daughter.