Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hyper Diapered Heroes



I went and saw my Granddaughter last night. I even stayed the night sleeping on the couch watching a digital picture frame play a slide show of my extended family. My depression started to come back as I looked at pictures of my Grandson Denver. I've only seen him three times and I feel I'm missing everything. My heart sank as the pictures changed from Denver to a series of flowers. I fell into a deep sleep and began to dream about Cordelia that same night being feed ice cream as she sat in the middle of the table outside on a perfect summer evening. She took turns taking small spoon fulls of ice cream from her mother, father and I.

Then the dream became far removed from reality. Denver, Cordelia and I were alone on rolling storybook hills. My grandchildren were the same age as they are now but both were walking through wild flowers. They both spoke a secret baby language to each other that no one but the two of them knew. Over the hill came a giant robot and the three of us turned into super heroes.

I woke up and began to sketch out the dream.

4 comments:

jalynn5977 said...

Robert, that is so cool , don't ever loose your imagination or dreams. your ex

Robert A Vollrath said...

To Jackie

I've been trying to do a 1000 page graphic novel for years and I can't seem to make it work. This silly story about our grandchildren and I seems to just flow. So I'm packing everything else away and putting all my energy into this story book.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

So glad you are going to concentrate on this story. It can develop in so many ways - I cant wait to read further instalments. You are lucky getting these dreams to drive the imagination. I tend to wake in the morning and sit up 'daydreaming' in a different way with ideas for paintings ... but I never seem to have time then to develop because Im so involved with something already. I know, I should make notes.

Robert A Vollrath said...

To Joan

As you can tell from this blog I'm very unfocused but this seems right.

My oldest son Mark taught me lucid dreaming and this is where a lot of my fiction comes from. This story I think comes from the emotional state I was in when I fell asleep. I didn't try to control the dream and just let it happened.

I never take enough notes.