Thursday, January 8, 2009

Box

The phone rings and its for grandpa. As I'm grandpa now I take the phone in hand and talk to my daughter-in-law Amanda.

"Cordelia wants to talk to you."

I'm use to this now. Cordelia misses me and needs to hear my voice. It had been two days since Cordelia had made the connection between the word blocks and those rectangular toys I had bought her for Christmas.

"I love you Cordelia. I miss you. Grandpa will see you soon...."

Amanda comes back on the phone and I hear Cordelia talking in the background.

"Box, box, box!"

"Cordelia got up this morning and dumped all the blocks you gave her out on the floor. She sat in the box the blocks came in and has been there all day. Cordelia keeps talking about grandpa as if she did something really important."

I hear Cordelia talk in the background.

"Love, love, love!"

"Yes grandpa knows you love him."

I say goodbye to Amanda and Cordelia, I love them both so very much.

Cordelia needed to tell her grandfather that she used her imagination. When we played with her blocks, I told her the box was a greater toy and it could be anything she wanted it to be. I never believed she would understand what I was talking about. This was the most magical moment for me as a grandfather when a connection was made two days later.

All her other toys are less magical than her cardboard box and when we play together now I give the box new magical properties.

More to come.....

No comments: