Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mother-In-Law Bully

My sons called her grandma hell.
To my shame I had other meaner, nastier names for her.
No one has the right to judge another person's worth.
I shouldn't have judged my then Mother-In-Law.

"I want to speak to Jackie."

"Your daughter is gone shopping, I'll have her call you when she gets home."

"She owes me money. I want my money!"

"She's shopping and I'm home with the kids. I'll have her call you back."

"Listen you son of a #%@* I want my money."

"Quit calling here you're diving me crazy. I've lost count how many times you've called and I've told her to call back. Why did you lend her money? You know she's can't control her spending!"

"You son of a #%@* you are worthless!"

"Stop calling me you crazy witch!"

I hung up the phone. I didn't call her a witch but a name that rhymed with witch. I shouldn't have called her that name. My then mother-in-law was insane. I believe she was abused as a child. My then wife payed her the money back but that wasn't good enough. She wanted me to apologies and I wouldn't. I should have apologised but I didn't.

Life lesson; always apologies to people. It doesn't cost you anything. I was young and dumb.

She called my parents and threaten to burn down their house.

She payed an ex-con to kill me.

"Robert I've payed my boyfriend $50.00 to kill you."

"Come on Helen, I'm worth at least a $100.00."

That was me, young and dumb.

"*%$#* you Robert. Here talk to the man that is going to kill you."

"Hi this is Robert. I hear you're going to kill me."

"I'm coming to your duplex tonight to kill you."

"Does your probation officer know about this plan?"

"I hear you're a coward."

"What's your point?"

"You won't come out and meet me in your front yard when I come to get you, will you?"

"We cowards are funny that way. We never volunteer to be killed in our front yards."

"I'll break your door down then and rip out your throat."

"Now you're just silly. I have a policeman that live across the street from me, so come on down."

He never showed up and my then mother-in-law stopped threatening me.

Years later after my then wife and I were divorced as a favor to my ex-wife I drove my ex-mother-in-law 40 miles back to her home so Jackie could work some over time at her pet store job.

On the drive back to her home she showed me she had lost most of her mind. She thought I was still married to her daughter and spoke as if her dead son was still alive. I felt the kindest pity for her.

Helen, I'm sorry I called you that name. I didn't have the right to judge your worth.

2 comments:

Lottery Girl said...

First of all, Happy belated birthday!

Second, in the post before this one, you talk about things you can hear and see that no one else does. Have you ever thought about incorporating this into a character in a novel? I think it would be a fascinating read.

And finally, I think it's awesome that you can look back on a situation such as the one with the ex-MIL and see how you could have done things differently, even though she was a difficult person. I find myself doing the exact same thing these days. To do things over again with more kindness--my only regrets!

Robert A Vollrath said...

I had a very happy birthday, thank you.

I am writing a novel with that theme.

This blog is my notes for the novel.
Comments in this blog decide what direction to go with the novel.
Your comment is reinforcing what I believed to be the right direction.

This post was hard to write as it shows a cruel side of me that I don't like.