Monday, March 31, 2008

First Bully


When I was five years old I would play with my little plastic soldiers under the overhang of my house roof next to my bedroom window. My green men were the good guys and my tan men were the bad guys. The plastic soldiers were the cheapest of my toys so I left them for weeks at this little play area. I was playing with them when Jerry walked up to me.

Jerry was a year older than me and I thought at the time to be much tougher. He was an "Air Force Brat" or so he called himself. At five I thought that was the kid division of the Air Force.
There was a small Air Force base near Kingsville to guard all the missile bases in the area.
I didn't like playing with Jerry because he was too tough on my toys but these were my cheapest toys so we started playing army together.

"Hey Bobby, you know what I do if we were in a real war with each other?

"No, what Jerry?"

"This!"

Before I could do anything Jerry grabbed my throat skin and pulled it past my chin.
I was frozen in pain as I heard Jerry's evil laugh. I thought to myself;' If he ever lets go I'll do the same to him.'

He let go and I did the same to him. I was amazed how easy it was to pull the skin of the throat pass the chin. It must have been that we were kids. I realized Jerry was turning purple so I let go. He started bawling like a baby.

"Why are you crying Jerry? You're a Air Force Brat. I thought you guys didn't cry?"

I was a little worried about my country. If I could make an Air Force Brat cry then what could the commies do to him?

"Your in big trouble Bobby!"

"Why, you did it first?"

"You made it hurt more because you held my throat longer!"

"No I didn't."

I wasn't sure of that because Jerry had turned purple. He ran off crying and I never saw him again as he moved two weeks latter. I never played army with my soldiers again as I was afraid someone would attack me while I was playing. I just blew them up with firecrackers every 4th of July until they were all gone.

Next Post; Bully Karma

2 comments:

Jane Doe said...

'I was a little worried about my country. If I could make an Air Force Brat cry then what could the commies do to him?'

Those lines are hilarious!

Robert A Vollrath said...

It is funny how you see the world when you are five years old.

After the six Bully Tales I'm going to write about how I didn't understand death at age four.
My family still makes fun of me for my very strange view of death at a tender age.