Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dang Bear Superstar


The above picture is of my favorite toy in the world. This toy didn't belong to me but to my oldest son Mark Vollrath. This little plush bear was the first toy my son Mark picked out for himself but the name was given to the toy by his mother when she tripped on the bear.

"Dang bear."

Mark mimics his mother.

"Dang Bear!"

The name struck and Mark and Dang Bear became great friends. Mark spent many hours of his young childhood talking to Dang Bear and Dang Bear spoke back in a smaller higher voice coming from my son.

For many years I tried to put Dang Bear into a movie but he wasn't right for any of the parts that came up. Finally the little bear got his big break.

He was cast in a very emotional scene in the short movie "Walking the Graveyard".

I didn't even have him audition for the part.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just LOVE this story! Thank you for sharing.

I'm so looking forward to see the movie.

Robert A Vollrath said...

Last night I paid three members of the crew and found out that the hour glass with the sands running out worked in the movie.

I didn't see any of the shooting of the scene with Dang Bear in it but I'm sure the little toy did well:)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Great story and isn't it always the way how our most treasured family and possesions get their names. Our youngest grand daughter has the strangest of nicknames - Mookie - although her real name is so pretty - Elisha.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I like her nickname and her real name:)