Thursday, October 23, 2008

the laughing warrior

"No mother, I don't want to fight."

"You shame me. How did I give birth to such a coward?"

"The whole village should run away we can't defeat them."

Mother slaps me hard and I begin to laugh that insane laugh I laugh when I'm scared.

She slaps me again and I stop laughing, numb with the knowledge I'm going to die soon.

I walked outside my stone and straw home. I picked up my weapon, a long wooden pole sharpen on one end. I began to laugh again. I laughed a mindless fearful laugh. As I marched towards the Roman Army I laughed. As they killed me I laughed.

I moved towards the light of the heart of the Earth Mother and laughed with joy. I would know the light by many names in many deaths but this was the the only time I came to the light as a laughing warrior.

Past life or just another dream?

1 comment:

Robert A Vollrath said...

As a child I had many death dreams in other languages. This was the first of those dreams.

I have written it in English but it wasn't in English in my dream. I knew the woman was my mother and that she was calling me a coward but I didn't understand the words.

I didn't go into my death in this dream as not to give my readers nightmares.