Thursday, February 21, 2008

Queen of Redbirds


I awoke to a cold winter's day in my hometown. The sound of sleet on the roof and windows was a pleasant way to wake up. I wiped the sleep from my eyes, put my clothes on and stumbled into the living room.

I found my father talking about driving up to the city to get some bird seed for my Mother's bird sanctuary.

"Do you want me to drive dad? The roads must be bad by now."

"No, I can make it. You have artwork to finish."

My Father was blind in one eye from a stroke and I didn't want him driving in bad weather but I had promised my Muse to have some artwork finished by the weekend.

I walked into the dinning room and looked out the large picture window. I saw over fifty Redbirds (Cardinals) in my mother's first bird sanctuary. The one bird feeder was empty and the heated birdbath was almost frozen over. The heater in the birdbath turned off at night and in the morning on cold days and low water levels left only a small hole in the ice.

I walked into the kitchen and saw my Mother watching the birds from the kitchen table.
I saw what she saw as I looked into side yard and her second bird sanctuary. There must have been over seventy Redbirds in the side yard along with hundreds of other song birds.
Only two of the eight feeders had seed and yet there was all these birds.

"Mom I've never seen so many Redbirds at your feeders before!"

"Yes, isn't it wonderful Bobby."

It took me over an hour to fill up all the feeders and melt the ice on the birdbath. I drove my parents into the city and when we came back there was even more birds.

My Mother is truly the Queen of Redbirds.

6 comments:

Windyridge said...

Wow that's a lot of cardinals. How wonderful. We only get a few probably because we have two outside cats. they are so pretty against the snowy backdrop.

Robert A Vollrath said...

Over the years I've tried to understand why my mother has so many cardinals. Here are a list of reasons.

1.Heated birdbath in the winter.
2.Eight bird feeders with sunflower seeds.
3.The other people in town have stopped feeding the birds.
4.Large number of trees in my parents yard.
5.My mother has been feeding the birds for over 40 years.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

What a lovely mum - had to say it on Mothering Sunday (do you celebrate this day in March??) We have cats so havent fed birds in our garden for years, but my African trip last Autumn gave me such delight to see so many wonderfully coloured species and managed to sketch (quite small) a few. By they way, hows the lovely yellow lady?? Is she ever going to get a name you can disclose to us??

Robert A Vollrath said...

I've never heard of Mothering Sunday but we have Mothers Day the second Sunday in May.

As my Mother loves all things English
I've wished her a happy Mothering Sunday and will be buying her flowers today.

I have told Cynthia I love her and I feel I've known her for years but it's only been two weeks. We are starting a business together that is taking up all of our time and to be quite honest I am a bit of a coward when it comes to romance.

All I know is that when I talk to her my mind is at peace and I am more focused in my art than any other point in my life.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Wonderful. My regards to Cynthia for making you so happy.

Robert A Vollrath said...

To Joan

I had talked myself out of doing another 'Romance' tale but the next post will be about my lack of bravery
in matters of the heart.