Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Voice

Dave Gould drove from Omaha Nebraska to Kansas City Missouri so he could help his friends James and Jessa with Project InSECT during a Art Fair on the weekend of the 8th-10th in February 2008. My legs began to cramp up behind the T-Shirt table and Dave offered to relieve me. I stood up to leave and someone said;

"You're not going to let him take over are you?"

I thought it was a joke because Dave is a Biker with long hair and a leather jacket.
I turned to face a well dressed mean wealthy man with hate in his eyes.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you not to judge someone by their looks. Dave has a good heart and that is all that matters."

I said as the man with a cold heart left without another word.

"Thanks Robert."

"You know Dave you have a great voice and I think you would be perfect in a movie I'm working on."

Dave and I became friends and I feel pity for the man with a cold heart.

8 comments:

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Your Dave sounds a great guy to come all that way to help out. Tell me about the interesting image?? How created??

Robert A Vollrath said...

Dave is a wonderful person and didn't
deserve the put down he got from the man with a cold heart.

I limit the time I create art for this blog and the image for 'The Voice' is only half finished.
When I have time I'll replace the image with the finished art.

What should have taken days to create took hours and I haven't created art this crude in years.

This is graphite, color marker, color pencil, black gel pen, all drawn on cheap card stock with plastic heart gems, shards of stained glass and shards of clear glass glued on with clear silicone rubber. Even more so than the Heart Breaker image this art can only be created with a flatbed scanner.

Melissa said...

I found your blog through a comment you left on Rebecca's blog (the one with the picture of the kids playing the drums.)

You've got some really interesting pieces and I love the stories that go along with them. I enjoyed clicking through your site. Thank you :)

Robert A Vollrath said...

Thanks Melissa,
I love Rebecca's blog and I think your avatar is fun.

My next post will be 'The Muse' and my second attempt at writing romance from my real life.

Everyone's comments help me push forward as a writer. Thanks.

gloria said...

It's been so long since I last had time and the mood to sit down and read blogs, and you are the first blog I thought of when today I decided I should give myself some quiet time and just read.

The Voice reminded me of the book i read The Tender Bar, a NYT book review book. One theme in the book is The Voice, the voice of the little boy's dad who was absent from his life since he was young, but the boy kept listening to him on the radio(his dad was a DJ in NY). The boy referred to his dad as The Voice. That was the voice the boy looked up to as manhood, the father figure that he yearned for. Just what your story reminded me of. :)

Robert A Vollrath said...

To Gloria

I'm always amazed at the different takes on my stories.

So nice to hear from my first blogger
friend. I knew you were busy but I'm glad you took time to drop me a line.

My next post is very scary to write because I'm writing about a new romance. I'm going to try to have it finished by the end of the month.

Digital Polaroids said...

Your work is great Dave!

Robert A Vollrath said...

Dave is the voice in the story.
I'm Robert but I can understand the mix up.

Digital Polaroids is one of the best photo blog in the blog world and I take your comment as high praise.