Sunday, March 13, 2011

Why Leave Grandma?


I knew the day would come when I was asked the question.

Not yet four years old my Grand Daughter asked the question; Why leave Grandma?

I did not use the words "divorce" or "ex-wife" in my answer.

"Your Grandma Jackie and I still love each other but my love of art became too much for her and her love of pets became too much for me. So we parted friends. I am so happy I married your Grandma Jackie because she gave me my sons, your Uncle Mark and your daddy. Then the greatest joys of my life came when you were born and seven weeks later your cousin Denver."

She smiles and leans forward to give me a kiss on my right cheek and goes back to playing with her dolls.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nicely stated. Well done.

I had a lot of questions concerning relationships when I was a kid. I don't remember if I ever dared to ask them. I got a lot of answers as a grown-up though, but it would have been better if I had known these things when I was a kid.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I began thinking how to answer this question the day she was born. We have conversations that last 45 minutes to 3 hours sometimes about anything she wants to know.

When she ask me about animals I tell her I don't know as much about animals as her grandma Jackie. I tell her that each Grand Parent has different things to teach her and she must love all of us equal.