Monday, January 4, 2010

Nose Switch

I can turn off my sense of smell now by force of will. I've had a weak sense of smell since 1975.
I didn't know I could turn it off until last Thanksgiving when I buried a pet cat and didn't want to smell death as I put him in his small grave.

The bad thing about this is I couldn't taste anything but the mustard in the deviled eggs and the sage in the dressing.

"Dad is this chicken or turkey?"

"Chicken, can't you taste it?"

"Just warm shapes in my mouth dad."

What a waste of a Thanksgiving meal.

It takes me three days to turn off my sense of smell and I haven't figured how to turn it back on yet. I can taste food again but my sense of smell is almost gone. I fear this mind experiment went too far.

3 comments:

Karin Bartimole said...

I have hope that your sense of smell will return, if your sense of taste has. Lurking behind taste is smell! Perhaps playing with the memory of scents, imagining them fully, will help your brain to reconnect the pathways for you. Here's hoping. I'm sorry for the loss of your cat at Thanksgiving.
wishing you well, Karin

chrome3d said...

I couldn´t taste much when I had flu some time ago. Luckily it went away and it was no experiment.

This could have a good effect on your weight now that you can eat anything and it doesn´t make a difference?

Robert A Vollrath said...

I have full vision in my left eye now which is another story. My next post is the Long Secret.