Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Wizard Club

The Wizard Club is fading from my memory. It wasn't a Harry Potter fan club, even if it was the place I first heard about the fictional boy wizard. No one ever called it the Wizard Club at the meetings but outside the meetings it was the name I called the group. My place in the group was that of the skeptic.

I was dating Sally, oh that's not her real name but I will call her that to protect her from the bigotry of the so called Bible Belt. I was in love with Sally and if the truth be known I never loved a woman more than the woman I call Sally in this story. Sally was a pagan and a neo-spiritualist and I was a wandering soul in search of a truth.

I found no truth in the Wizard Club but it was part of my journey in search of the truth. The people in that group wanted to use magic for good but I only found a pool of false knowledge where imagination should have been. I found no imagination worshipers like myself and worst I found pity politics in the group.

My memories are almost gone of the people of that group. The meetings were $10.00 for each gathering but I didn't feel that was a bad price for the mansion where the Wizard Club meet was truly a private museum. The home of the Professor that studied primitive religions it was full of objects that were part of the fantasy of real world magic.

I have no cleaver story to tell you here, just a fading memory of a group of people with shallow imaginations that wanted to be real wizards.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe they had found a Truth that worked for them, but I think they where searchers hoping to find what they where looking for.

I tend to believe that if you have found "the Truth" (your Truth, no matter if it matches other's) you have little use of gathering in groups and have cermonies.

Robert A Vollrath said...

Perhaps I shouldn't judge how much imagination someone has but I felt they were living a lie by trying to control something that is an unknown in human terms.

I don't have a Truth and I certainly don't know what the truth is. I've had moments in my life when I felt a small corner of the universe came into focus but I wouldn't know how I could prove these moments of enlightenment.

I was hoping the group would give me some insight into what happened to me after my near death in 1975.