Sunday, June 15, 2008

River and Stone


River and Stone or as they are seen in this photo, Stone and River. The names I wanted to give my sons but didn't. My then wife had a say in the choosing of names as it should be.

River flows in deep thoughts, sometimes underground with darkness all around. In his soul are the secrets of the river. Old as time and yet ever changing and young of heart in ways he doesn't understand yet.

Stone is stronger in mind, body and spirit than his father or brother. He is a rock. Born too early and yet born a fighter. The first three months he did not cry or should I say couldn't cry.
His tiny hand wrapped around my finger and me with my eyes transfixed on the beating heart below thin skin as his ribs had not grown together yet. "Please God let him live" I would say in a whisper. Most children come into this world cradled by a doctor's loving hands. Stone fell into the world caught a few inches from the floor by a foolish and incompetent doctor.

River came to me the morning he was to go to school for the first time.

"Wake up father, you need to fix me breakfast. I have dressed myself and have your clothes laying out. Now hurry I don't want to be late on my first day."

I think he did a good job of raising me.

Stone was in trouble at school (I think this happened in the sixth grade?), his teacher told me he had gotten into a fight. She didn't want to give him in school suspension but she had too.

"Your son beat up a bully that was picking on a mentally challenged girl. I wish I could give him a metal. He has stopped the bullying."

My hero.

I love my sons with all my heart and soul.

No comments: