Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Vision

My ex-wife Jackie Goss asked me why I hadn't told this story before. I'm not sure why this story scares me so. The following story is true and my ex-wife is a witness to a moment in our life together when I predicted a future event in stunning detail. This is my 400th post on this blog and if you choice to do so, you are about to read about my strongest vision in a life of visions.

I use to enter any contest that had to do with costumes and the strangest of these contests was the Weird Sunglasses Contest in early summer of 1981. I don't remember the name of the radio station that held the contest but I do remember where it was held.

I won that contest with my sunglasses with 23 lens and frames made out of 3M 3-D material.
First prize was a free weekend at a nice hotel in Kansas City Missouri.

I remember the argument I had with my wife Jackie about going to the hotel on July17th.

"I need to go that weekend! I want to go that weekend! Why can't we go that weekend?"

"My brother Jeff might be in town for his birthday. Why are you yelling at me about this?"

"I don't know........ You're right, we need to be here if your brother comes by. I'm sorry I don't know why I was yelling at you. I'm going on a walk. I'll see you in a few hours.......I love you.
I'm really sorry I yelled at you."

I rushed out the door and got in my car and drove to a wildlife park. In my twenties any walk for me was a ten mile hike in the woods.

In the woods I felt at peace. I thought how selfish I was to be married when I had seizures everyday and couldn't remember my own name on a bad day. Now I had a son and that made me even more selfish. How was I, the brain damaged fool going to raise a son?

A sense of dread came over me and I knew something bad was going to happen.

Two weeks later and we were entering the Hyatt Regency at the Crown Center Complex in Kansas City Missouri. After we checked in for our free weekend we decided to go swimming.
As my wife and I walked across the upper sky-walk in the hotel lobby I thought about my only child Mark. This was the first time we were away from him for a weekend. I hoped he wouldn't miss us too much.

Suddenly I felt the sky-way flex up and down an inch over and over again. I turned to see three other people walking on the sky-walk. Only three people walking and the sky-walk flexed that much? For some reason I felt compelled to put my hand on one of the red support rods.

The moment I touched that rod I found myself in a black void watching the top sky-walk splitting in half and pan caking the lower sky-walk with the result of both sky-walks falling to the lobby floor. I came back to this reality and turned to my wife Jackie.

"This sky-walk is going to fall soon!"

After our swim we didn't walk back across the sky-walk and looked rather silly walking across the floor of the lobby in swim suits and towels.

"Sir, could you please use the sky-walk after your swim?"

Said one of the hotel staff. I stopped walking and looked him straight in the eye.

"That sky-walk is going to fall in two weeks and it scares me to walk across it."

The man gave me a dirty look and walked away.

That afternoon dressed in normal clothes I spoke to the front desk clerk and he dismissed my vision as a vertigo fantasy.

That night Jackie and I went swimming again and I saw why the sky-walk was going to fall.
Hundreds of people were dancing on the sky-walk in a event called a Tea Dance. As the big band played I became sick to my stomach.

Two weeks later I'm driving in my car when I hear the news on the radio. I begin to cry.

I pull the car into a strip mall parking lot. Turn off the engine and lay my head on the steering wheel and cry like a baby in deep sobs.

To this day I feel guilty I didn't tell more people about this vision when it could have saved lives.

Next Post; The Fire

Thanks goes to Jackie Goss, my then wife for helping me write this story.

4 comments:

Lottery Girl said...

What an amazing story!

I have had a few instances of being able to "see" things that came to pass. But they have always been things that were not too important. When my son was little, he was like this as well. Sometimes this scares me, because if I think something bad is going to happen, I'm not sure if it's simple worry, or truly a vision.

BTW, you can't feel guilty, because you did try to tell people and no one would listen.

Robert A Vollrath said...

To Lottery Girl

Beside my then wife Jackie, I only told two people. After these visions I have the urge to tell everyone I can and then in a few moments I'm filled with doubt.

I like you don't know what is a vision or simply worry in smaller visions. I use to think I couldn't change the future but events in my life changed my view on this.

I am just as interested in these visions of things that aren't important. Why do we see these things?

Unknown said...

I think that sometimes we register things without knowing. You might have seen loose screws or something without thinking about it.

Sometimes I think we just know, without beeing able to explain.

Sometimes we "know" and nothing happens. Why didn't it happen? Because something stopped it, or because there were a false feeling?

Robert A Vollrath said...

To Desiree

You bring up good points.

Your comment has made me think about my false visions. I will do a post called 'False Visions' before the end of the month.